June 03, 2021
All it took was one trip to Hungary for Jaymond Tan and Rollney®️ Malaysia was brought to life. After falling in love at first bite with the delectable Hungarian chimney cake, officially known as Kürtőskalács / Kurtos Kalacs, Jaymond Tan set his sights on learning the traditional baking process and culture behind the dessert in hopes of marrying it with Malaysians’ diverse love for food. Extending his trip for another three months, Jaymond convinced the stall owner of where he had his first Kurtos Kalacs to share and teach him the recipe.
At the age of 19 in 2019, he became the founder of Rollney®️, opening its very first outlet in Sunway Pyramid, Petaling Jaya. Instead of using the traditional waffle cone for their ice-creams, Rollney®️ offers the unique, bread-like Hungarian pastry that holds a hollow, cylindrical shape and is freshly baked to order each time. Crisp on the outside with a soft, fluffiness on the inside, each cone comes complete with a choice of soft-serve ice-cream flavour that changes every two weeks. One of their signature orders is the Rollney®️ 24K Gold Ice Cream that features golden pearls, an edible 24K gold sheet, and a sprinkle of gold powder as the topping.
Currently, the local dessert brand has expanded to 10 outlets just within two years with hopes of more to come. The other outlets include MyTown Shopping Centre, Central-I City, IOI City Mall, Mid Valley Megamall, 1 Utama Shopping Centre, Ansa Walk, Setia City Mall, Berjaya Times Square, and Leith Street in Georgetown, Penang. Rollney®️ is also now available to order online for pick-up or delivery from Sunway Pyramid.
With the covid pandemic still raging on, it has become a great challenge to young entrepreneurs like Jaymond Tan to keep the outlets running and costs low.
- Rollney. About us. https://www.rollney.com.my/about
- LinkedIn. https://my.linkedin.com/in/jaymond-tan-1b767a1a5
- KLFoodie. Jacelyn Kuan. 23 July 2019. https://klfoodie.com/rollneys-24k-gold-ice-cream-might-be-the-most-expensive-ice-cream-in-kl/
- Warga Biz. 2 August 2019. https://wargabiz.com.my/2019/08/02/rollney-24k-gold-ice-cream-is-now-a-thing-and-it-costs-you-rm-53-90/
- Foodiver. 28 November 2020. https://ne-np.facebook.com/Foodiver/posts/rollney-malaysia-introduces-a-merry-red-themed-ice-cream-and-gift-sets-their-sig/2818116491840129/