February 16, 2021
Datuk Vincent Choo and his wife Datin Cynthia Cheong are the Development Agent or master franchisee in Malaysia of Subway, an American fast food sandwich chain, which first came to Malaysia in the late 1990s. The Choos took over the franchise from an existing franchisee and expanded the chain over two decades to more than 200 outlets. They were jointly honoured with the Lifetime Achievement in Food and Beverage award at the McMillan Woods Global Awards Night 2017.
Subway was started by Dr Peter Buck and Fred Deluca about 50 years ago in Bridgeport, Connecticut, USA as a restaurant that served fresh, affordable, made-to-order sandwiches. Its signature sandwich is known as the submarine sandwich which is a long french loaf packed with customers’ choices of the varieties of fillings and salads available. By 2002 Subway had become the largest fast-food chain in the USA. In 2019 Subway USA closed more than 1000 outlets nationwide and with the current pandemic, things are more challenging for the chain. Subway CEO John Chidsey is nevertheless optimistic about business bouncing back in Asia especially in China.
Subway Malaysia is still open for franchising and inquiries can be made at https://subway-franchise.com/my-en/franchise-owner/
- Fortune.my. Franchise Opportunity Subway.14 June 2014. https://www.fortune.my/franchise-opportunity-subway.htm
- The Star online. 29 March 2017. Jade Chan. Sandwich franchise couple honoured. Sandwich franchise couple honoured | The Star
- The Malaysian Reserve. 3 April 2017. Choo, Cheong win BrandLaureate Award. https://themalaysianreserve.com/2017/04/03/choo-cheong-win-brandlaureate-award/
- BFM 89.9. 27 November 2018. Joyce Goh. SUBWAY MALAYSIA'S RECIPE FOR SURVIVAL. Dato; Vincent Choo, Master Franchisor, Subway Malaysia. https://www.bfm.my/podcast/morning-run/the-breakfast-grille/bg-vincent-choo-subway-malaysias-recipe-for-survival
- The Sun Daily. 23 May 2016. Partners in Life and Business awarded. https://www.thesundaily.my/archive/1810790-CSARCH368903
- The Sun Malaysia. Pressreader. 19 October 2016. Jeremy Cheong. Riding on Success. Datuk Vincent Choo and Datin Cynthia Cheong share the plans they have for the Subway brand in Malaysia. https://www.pressreader.com/malaysia/the-sun-malaysia/20161019/281930247509052
- The Star online. Joy Lee. 20 Apri 2012. The Second Bite. https://www.thestar.com.my/news/community/2012/04/20/the-second-bite/
- Business Insider. 3 November 2020. Frank Olito. The Rise and Fall of Subway, the World’s Largest fast-food chain. https://www.businessinsider.com/rise-and-fall-of-subway-restaurants-2019-9