Ramsay Sime Darby Healthcare buys Manipal Hospitals Klang
Sime Darby Berhad announced in April 2021 that its Joint Venture company, Sime Darby Healthcare has acquired Klang’s Manipal Hospitals, a 220-bed hospital which offers more than 30 speciality services including Klang’s only trauma centre.
The seller is Manipal Health Enterprises, India’s second largest multi-specialty hospital chain. Why did it sell its tertiary hospital in Malaysia?
According to the Economic Times of India, Manipal Health is keen to expand its footprint in Eastern India after it has completed its acquisition of 100% of Columbia Asia Hospitals.
50:50 Joint Venture
Ramsay Sime Darby Healthcare is a 50:50 Joint venture between Sime Darby and Ramsay Healthcare, Australia. The JV company started with 6 hospitals in 2013 with the aim of building a portfolio of hospitals throughout Asia.
Sime Darby injected its flagship tertiary care 393 bed Subang Jaya Medical Centre, Ara Damansara Medical Centre (220 beds) and Park City Medical Centre (300 beds) into the JointVenture. Ramsay Healthcare Ltd injected 2 hospitals in Jakarta -RS Premier Bintaro and RS Premier JatiNegara, and one in Surabaya into the Joint Venture.
In 2018 Ramsay Sime Darby Healthcare set up The CENTRAL SURGERY, an exclusive day surgery facility in Central Hong Kong. It offers private suites to surgical patients for a quiet and comfortable experience.
Sime Darby Berhad is one of Malaysia’s oldest and largest conglomerates with operations in 18 countries across the Asia Pacific. Its 4 key business sectors are Motors, Industrial, Logistics and Healthcare. For financial year ended 30 June 2020 Sime Darby Berhad reported a revenue of RM37 billion and net profit of RM 820 million.
As at 17 September 2020, the biggest shareholders of Sime Darby Berhad are Amanah Saham Bumiputera (40.42%) and Permodalan Nasional Berhad (7.31%).
Ramsay Health Care Ltd is the largest private hospital group in Australia. Established by Paul Ramsay in 1964, Ramsay Health Care is listed on the Australian Stock Exchange. It has more than 212 hospitals across the globe with a significant presence in France and the UK. The Paul Ramsay Foundation is Australia’s biggest charity by assets and its grants are funded form the dividends of its Ramsay Health Care shareholding.
- Subang Jaya Medical Centre. https://www.subangjayamedicalcentre.com/
- Ramsay Healthcare Annual Report 2020. About us. History. https://www.ramsayhealth.com/About-Us/History
- Sime Darby Berhad. Annual Report 2020. https://www.simedarby.com/investor/annual-reports
- Sime Darby Berhad. Press Release. 26 March 2013. https://www.simedarby.com/press-releases/sime-darby-and-ramsay-health-care-establishes-health-care-joint-venture-in-asia
- The Hindu. Business Line. 9 April 2021. https://www.thehindubusinessline.com/news/manipal-hospitals-to-divest-stake-in-klang-malaysia-to-ramsay-sime-darby-health-care/article34279384.ece
- The Economic Times. https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/industry/healthcare/biotech/healthcare/manipal-takes-over-columbia-asia-emerges-second-largest-healthcare-chain/articleshow/82324255.cms?from=mdr
- Healthy Matters. 17 November 2020. https://www.healthymatters.com.hk/day-surgery-hong-kong-6-reasons-to-choose-the-central-surgery
- The Central Surgery. About Us - The Central Surgery