Sarawak’s Sugar Bun chain in expansion mode
Established in 1979, the Sugar Bun chain is a household name in Sarawak. Sugar Bun started as an ice cream parlour but morphed over time into what is today a unique Borneo Asian Food restaurant (since 2016) offering its signature broasted chicken with a wide range of comfort food for its customers. See the full menu at www.sugarbun.com/menu. Sugar Bun had a successful trial run with online delivery platform Foodpanda and is expanding this new channel of service.
The chain reported a revenue of about RM49 million in 2019. Sugar Bun is open for franchising. The business is operated under a Bursa Malaysia listed company, Borneo Oil Berhad which has interests in construction and property management and mining and energy businesses. Besides the Sugar Bun chain, Borneo Oil is also the master licencee in East Malaysia for Singaporean homegrown pizza brand “Pezzo”. As of mid 2019 there are more than 132 Sugar Bun and Pezzo outlets mostly in Sarwak and it is still expanding. Sugar Bun also has a presence in Brunei Darussalam, Bangladesh, Australia and Indonesia.
- Sugar Bun restaurant. About us. www.sugarbun.com
- Sugar Bun Franchising. www.sugarbun.com/franchising
- The Star. Jack Wong. 6 April 2015. Borneo Oil to open 15 Pezzo pizza outlets in Sabah and Sarawak. www.thestar.com.my
- Inside Retail Asia. 23 May 2016. Pezzo pizza Malaysia expands. www.insideretail.asia
- New Sarawak Tribune. 3 December 2019. Alvin Tang. Sugar Bun gets earnings boost from Foodpanda. www.newsarawaktribune.my
- Borneo Oil Berhad. Annual Report 2019. www.klsescreener.com