May 06, 2021
Inside Scoop, a popular Malaysian ice cream parlour, was founded by Edmund Tan and his wife, Lim Shiew Li in 2013. The couple noticed that the premium ice cream market was dominated by international brands with their imported flavours. They were convinced that there was a niche for a homegrown brand of premium local ice cream flavours waiting to be filled. Both are ice cream lovers. To fulfil their dreams, Shiew Li went to Bologna, Italy to study how to make the creamy Italian gelato. Upon her return, the couple started churning out different flavours of ice cream using premium ingredients. Delighted with the results of their experiments, they decided to open the first Inside Scoop in Bangsar, Kuala Lumpur in late 2013 with an initial 16 flavours. The uniquely local flavours included durian (still an all time favourite), cempedak, teh tarik, kopi peng, salted gula melaka etc. Valrhona chocolate is also hugely popular among Malaysians. Their dessert ice cream parlours also serve buttermilk waffles, ice cream cakes, coffee and delightful thirst quenchers.
There are now 26 Inside Scoop outlets in Malaysia. Edmund and Shiew Li has opened their first Inside Scoop outlet in Singapore at North Bridge Road.
With the onset of the pandemic, Inside Scoop has gone on to online delivery of their ice creams.
- Inside Scoop. Our Story. Meet our Founders. www.insidescoop.com.my
- FMT Lifestyle. 22 January 2021. Noel Wong. The ‘Inside Scoop’ on Malaysia’s beloved ice cream brand. https://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/category/leisure/2021/01/22/the-inside-scoop-on-malaysias-beloved-ice-cream-brand/#:~:text=It%20all%20really%20boils%20down,to%20the%20happily%20married%20couple.
- Vulcan Post. Dale John Wong. How Inside Scoop’s co-founder “conned” his wife into helping him build an ice-cream empire. https://vulcanpost.com/638114/inside-scoop-ice-cream-malaysia-founders-interview/
- Graduan. 4 March 2019. https://graduan.com/how-inside-scoop-became-malaysias-most-favourite-ice-cream-store
- Asia Tatler. 30 August 2018. Tien Chew. Homegrown heroes of F & B – Inside Scoop, My BurgerLab and Rotiboy. Inside Scoop – Selling Happiness. https://my.asiatatler.com/dining/merdeka-special-homegrown-heroes-of-fb-inside-scoop-myburgerlab-rotiboy
- Astro Awani. 8 November 2018. Mariam Azmi. Inside Scoop's Edmund Tan: Behind The Ice Cream Dream. https://www.astroawani.com/berita-dunia/inside-scoops-edmund-tan-behind-ice-cream-dream-226715
- Focus Malaysia. 28 February 2020. Patsy Kam. Eye on the Big Picture. https://focusmalaysia.my/lifestyle/eye-on-the-big-picture/
- BFM. The Business Station. 7 April 2010. Jeff Sandhu. Voice of SMEs. Inside Scoop. https://www.bfm.my/podcast/enterprise/open-for-business/ent-ofb-voice-of-smes-edmund-tan
- DanielFoodDiary.com. 7 February 2021. Inside Scoop – Popular Malaysian Ice Cream Cafe Arrives In Singapore Near Bugis, Opens Till 12AM Weekends. https://danielfooddiary.com/2021/02/07/insidescoop/
- Singapore Foodie. 4 March 2021. Mei Rei Qua. Inside Scoop Is Opening At North Bridge Road With Free Ice-Cream Scoops For Everyone. https://singaporefoodie.com/inside-scoop-first-opening-in-singapore/