TMC Life Sciences Berhad
October 08, 2021
TMC Life Sciences Berhad (TMCLS) operates an integrated healthcare platform that incorporates a Hospital Division, TMC Fertility Centre, TMC Care Pharmacy and Thomson TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine). It is listed on the Main Market of Bursa Malaysia since 2005.
TMCLS’s flagship hospital is the Thomson Hospital Kota Damansara (formerly known as Tropicana Medical Centre) established in 2008. It is a 205-bedded multi-disciplinary tertiary care centre equipped with advanced medical technology and served by more than 110 consultant specialists.
Thomson Hospital Kota Damansara (THKD) has embarked on an expansion plan to become a 600-bed hospital with additional specialist centres, operating theatre, a Cancer Centre and a multi-storey carpark. TMCLS will also be developing an integrated medical hub, Thomson Iskandar, in the proposed Vantage Bay Healthcare City in Johor Bahru. Thomson Iskandar will house a 500-bed tertiary hospital, specialist medical suites and related health and wellness facilities. THKD is the first in Malaysia to offer ENT, Head and Neck CO2 laser treatment, while also being one of four private hospitals in Malaysia to offer specialized interventional neuro-radiology services.
Thomson Medical Group
TMCLS is part of the Singapore listed Thomson Medical Group Limited (TMG) which is controlled by billionaire Peter Lim Eng Hock. Established in 1979, TMG Group is one of the largest private providers of healthcare services for women and children in Singapore. It owns and operates the Thomson Medical Centre at 101 Thomson Road, Singapore and a network of specialist medical clinics and facilities.
As at 1 September 2020 TMC life Sciences Berhad is indirectly owned by the Thomson Medical Group Limited with a stake of 70.13%. Deemed interested in this 70.13% stake is Peter Lim Eng Hock. DYAM Tunku Ismail Ibni Sultan Ibrahim owns a substantial stake of 7.64%.
* This article is part of our on-going research into Private Healthcare in Malaysia for a future publication by Sparrow Publishing House.
- TMC Life Sciences Berhad. Annual Report 2020. https://www.tmclife.com/annual-report/
- Bondsupermart. 5 March 2020. Dexter Tan. Will Thomson Medical Group ride the medical tourism wave to new heights? https://www.bondsupermart.com/bsm/article-detail/will-thomson-medical-group-ride-the-medical-tourism-wave-to-new-heights-RCMS_205621
- The Star Online. 7 August 2014. https://www.thestar.com.my/business/business-news/2014/08/07/tmc-life-sciences-gets-takeover-offer-from-singapore-tycoon
- Edge Prop. 6 February 2015. https://www.edgeprop.my/content/peter-lim-johor-crown-prince-injects-thomson-medical-hub-project-tmc-life-rm400m
- The Straits Times. 18 July 2017. https://www.straitstimes.com/business/rowsley-to-buy-healthcare-assets-for-up-to-us14-billion
- Business Times. 18 July 2017. https://www.businesstimes.com.sg/companies-markets/peter-lim-to-inject-thomson-medical-tmc-into-rowsley-in-all-share-deal
- The Star. 21 July 2018. https://www.thestar.com.my/metro/metro-news/2018/07/21/medical-centre-undergoes-rebranding-exercise-kota-damansara-hospital-sports-new-name-as-it-prepares
- The Edge. 18 August 2010. The Editor. https://www.theedgemarkets.com/article/tmc-life-founder-exit-company
- Thomson Medical Group. https://www.thomsonmedical.com/about-thomson-medical-group/