foodpanda GmbH, a leading global online food delivery marketplace, was launched in April 2012. It is headquartered in Berlin. Germany. The start up was incubated by Rocket Internet which is owned by the German Samwer brothers, Marc, Alexander and Oliver. They are incredibly successful digital entrepreneurs. The Rocket Internet website states that the firm “incubates, builds, develops operationally and strategically invests in internet and technology companies globally.” foodpanda is funded by 8 investors and has raised a total of US$749.5m in funding over 8 rounds. It is active in 5 continents and is present in 500 cities around the world.
In Malaysia, foodpanda is present in the Klang Valley, Johor Bahru and Penang with plans to expand into other areas soon. Managing Director of foodpanda Malaysia, Sayantan Das, said in an interview with Techinasia that foodpanda “has the widest selection of restaurants on our platform in addition to having the widest reach in the country. It also has advance algorithms which ensure timely deliveries and a distinct fleet for halal deliveries.”
foodpanda Singapore recently tied up with DroNet, a drone network system by Singapore Technologies (ST) Engineering, to form PandaFly, for the testing of delivery of light food items over short distances using drones. Once successful with its implementation, Malaysians can expect that to happen here too.
- Hype. 17 August 2020. Justin.PandaFly : Foodpanda uses Drone to deliver Ayam Penyet.
- Foodpanda. About. https://www.foodpanda.ph/contents/about.htm
- Join Foodpanda Malaysia. Partners. https://www.restaurant.foodpanda.my/
- Demystify Asia. Asian Business Information. 6 April 2016. Shona. Foodpanda - Asia’s Food Delivery Platform.
- Techinasia. Sayantan Das. 10 May 2018. I’m Sayantan Das, managing director of Foodpanda Malaysia. Ask me anything!
- Crunchbase. Foodpanda. Financials. https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/foodpanda/company_financials
- Rocket Internet. Co-Founders. https://www.roinvests in cket-internet.com/careers/rocket/co-founders
- Wired. 2 March 2012. Matt Cowan. Inside the clone factory: the story of the Samwer brothers and Rocket Internet. German brothers Oliver, Marc and Alexander Samwer are among Europe's most successful internet entrepreneurs. So why are they so vilified?