Tan brothers expanding Texas Chicken chain
The Texas Chicken franchise in Malaysia was brought in by Dato’ Jaya JB Tan and his brother, Dato’ Kamal YP Tan, who are the Chairman and Group Chief Executive Officer of Singapore F&B listed company, Envictus International Holdings Ltd (formerly known as Etika International Holdings Ltd) respectively. Envictus International’s business divisions comprise Trading and Frozen Food, Food Services (Texas Chicken, San Francisco Coffee chain and The Delicious Group), Nutrition as well as Food Processing (Bakery and Butchery). Etika signed a 10 year agreement (2013-2022) with US-based Cajun Global LLC to develop and operate the Texas Chicken franchise in Malaysia and Brunei. The first Texas Chicken outlet was opened in Aeon Bukit Tinggi Shopping Centre in February 2013. Currently there are over 50 Texas Chicken outlets in Malaysia.
The Tan brothers are from Sabah and were formerly owners of the Pengkalen Group which controlled two stockbroking firms -Kimara Securities and Pengakalen Securities in the late 1980s. In 1996 the brothers exited the Pengkalen Group and with the proceeds went into the F&B business. They established the Etika International Holdings Group which became one of the largest sweetened condensed milk and evaporated milk manufacturers in Asia. In April 2014, Etika sold its dairy and packaging business to Japan’s Asahi Group Holdings Southeast Asia for US$328.8 million. The 130-year old Asahi Group, a global manufacturer of a comprehensive range of products that includes soft drinks, baby foods and health foods, is also Japan’s top beer brewery with its signature best selling “Asahi Super Dry.”
US based Church’s Fried Chicken was founded in 1952 in San Antonio, Texas by George W. Church Sr. who had been in the poultry business for more than 20 years. Outside the Americas, in Asia and the rest of the world, Church’s Fried Chicken is known as Texas Chicken.
- Tang Wei Lynn & Siow Cheng Ming. 11 April 2014. Etika’s Tan Brothers Score Big. www.theedgemalaysia.com
- Fiona Chan. 10 April 2014. Singapore’s Etika sells dairies and packaging business to Asahi unit. www.straitstimes.com
- Asahi. Who we are. www.asahigroup-holdings.com
- News Release. 10 July 2012. Etika International Holdings Ltd. Etika enters Fast Food segment with Texas Chicken franchise. www.respository.shareinvestor.com
- 7 February 2013. Texas Chicken opens first KL Outlet. www.marketing-interactive.com
- PR Newswire Asia. 28 June 2018. Texas Chicken debuts in Southern Peninsula Malaysia. www.asiaone.com